City staff met with representatives of NWS on February 7, 2017. Following is a summary of the items discussed:
· NWS does not want a food and beverage concession operation in Soundscape Park. They would prefer to look at engaging restaurants in the vicinity rather than adding another vendor and structure.
· NWS does not want restrooms in Soundscape Park. They propose utilizing a portion of the former Oolite space to create public restrooms to serve Soundscape Park.
· NWS wants to close the existing restroom building in Soundscape Park and convert it to a storage building.
· NWS wants to close Lincoln Lane, making it pedestrian only, and to bring the road surface level with the Soundscape Park grade.
· NWS does not like the current plan for trees on Drexel Avenue.
· NWS requested approval to install additional speaker towers within Soundscape Park.
· NWS wants to create additional viewing areas within Soundscape Park outside of the current viewing area of the wallcast (i.e., portable screens, permanent display, etc.).
· NWS suggested possible simulcasts and/or information pieces along Lincoln Road, using kiosks or other methods of transmission, in order to incorporate Soundscape Park and NWS along Lincoln Road to bring the three together.
· NWS requested the City consider installing public restroom stalls along public streets (similar to London, Spain, New York, etc.).
This information was subsequently presented at the March 1, 2017 Commission meeting. The Commission voted in favor of not proceeding with the food and beverage concession and referring the remainder of the issues requested by NWS to the Neighborhood/Community Affairs Committee (NCAC).
NWS presented the suggestions above at the May 19, 2017 NCAC meeting. The NCAC passed by acclamation a recommendation to have staff evaluate the cost impacts of improving the amenities at Soundscape Park and subsequently send the evaluation to the Finance and Citywide Projects Committee for consideration.