THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETINGS OF THE CITY COMMISSION ARE ESTABLISHED BY RESOLUTION. SCHEDULED MEETING DATES ARE AVAILABLE ON THE CITY’S WEBSITE, DISPLAYED ON MBTV, AND ARE AVAILABLE IN THE OFFICE OF THE CITY CLERK. COMMISSION MEETINGS COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 8:30 A.M. GENERALLY THE CITY COMMISSION IS IN RECESS DURING THE MONTH OF AUGUST.
1. The Dr. Stanley Sutnick Citizens' Forum will be held during the first Commission meeting each month. The Forum is split into two (2) sessions, 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., or as soon as possible thereafter, provided that the Commission Meeting has not already adjourned prior to the time set for either session of the Forum. In the event of adjournment prior to the Stanley Sutnick Citizens’ Forum, notice will be posted on MBTV, and posted at City Hall. Approximately thirty (30) minutes will be allocated for each session, with individuals being limited to no more than three (3) minutes or for a time period established by the Mayor. No appointment or advance notification is needed in order to speak to the Commission during this Forum.
2. Prior to every Commission meeting, an Agenda and backup material are published by the Administration. Copies of the Agenda may be obtained at the Office of the City Clerk on Thursday morning prior to the regularly scheduled City Commission meeting. The Agenda and backup materials are also available on the City’s website: www.miamibeachfl.gov the Thursday prior to a regularly scheduled City Commission Meeting.
3. Any person requesting placement of an item on the Agenda must provide a written statement with his/her complete address and telephone number to the Office of the City Manager, 1700 Convention Center Drive, 4th Floor, Miami Beach, Fl 33139, briefly outlining the subject matter of the proposed presentation. In order to determine whether or not the request can be handled administratively, an appointment may be scheduled to discuss the matter with a member of the City Manager's staff. "Requests for Agenda Consideration" will not be placed on the Agenda until after Administrative staff review. Such review will ensure that the issue is germane to the City's business and has been addressed in sufficient detail so that the City Commission may be fully apprised. Such written requests must be received in the City Manager's Office no later than noon on Monday of the week prior to the scheduled Commission meeting to allow time for processing and inclusion in the Agenda package. Presenters will be allowed sufficient time, within the discretion of the Mayor, to make their presentations and will be limited to those subjects included in their written requests.
4. Once an Agenda for a Commission Meeting is published, persons wishing to speak on item(s) listed on the Agenda, other than public hearing items and the Dr. Stanley Sutnick Citizens Forum, should call or come to City Hall, Office of the City Clerk, 1700 Convention Center Drive, telephone 305.673.7411, before 5:00 p.m., no later than the day prior to the Commission meeting and give their name, the Agenda item to be discussed, and if known, the Agenda item number.
5. All persons who have been listed by the City Clerk to speak on the Agenda item in which they are specifically interested, and persons granted permission by the Mayor, will be allowed sufficient time, within the discretion of the Mayor, to present their views. When there are scheduled public hearings on an Agenda item, IT IS NOT necessary to register at the Office of the City Clerk in advance of the meeting. All persons wishing to speak at a public hearing may do so and will be allowed sufficient time, within the discretion of the Mayor, to present their views.
6. If a person wishes to address the Commission on an emergency matter, which is not listed on the Agenda, there will be a period allocated at the commencement of the Commission Meeting when the Mayor calls for additions to, deletions from, or corrections to the Agenda. The decision as to whether or not the matter will be heard, and when it will be heard, is at the discretion of the Mayor. On the presentation of an emergency matter, the speaker's remarks must be concise and related to a specific item. Each speaker will be limited to three minutes, or for a longer or shorter period, at the discretion of the Mayor.